Launched in 2017, the iPhone X was a major evolution of the iPhone. The device replaced the Home button and Touch ID with swipe-based navigation and Face ID, while introducing new features like an OLED display, Animoji, wireless charging, and more.
Even five years later, the iPhone X is still a capable smartphone. If you’ve been holding on to your iPhone X and are considering upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro when it launches later this year, check out our list below for a recap of the many new features and changes to expect. The list includes major new features added to the iPhone XS, 11 Pro, 12 Pro, and 13 Pro, as well as rumored features for the iPhone 14 Pro.
iPhone X vs. iPhone 14 Pro:
- Over 2x as fast A16 chip: The A15 chip in the iPhone 13 Pro is already over 2x faster than the A11 chip in the iPhone X, according to Geekbench 5, and performance should improve even more with the A16 chip in the iPhone 14 Pro. Apple also uses a 16-core Neural Engine in the latest iPhones for faster machine learning compared to the three-core Neural Engine in the iPhone X.
- Larger display: iPhone X is equipped with a 5.8-inch display, while the 14 Pro is expected to have a 6.1-inch display.
- Much brighter display: Compared to the iPhone X, the 14 Pro’s display will have at least 375 nits higher peak brightness for standard content.
- No more notch: Rumors suggest Apple will replace the notch with a pill-shaped cutout and a hole for Face ID and the front camera on the iPhone 14 Pro.
- Heavier: The iPhone X weighs 0.38 pounds, while the iPhone 13 Pro weighs 0.45 pounds.
- 3D Touch removed: On the iPhone 11 Pro and newer, Apple removed the 3D Touch feature that allowed you to press deeply on the screen to pop open menus or other “hidden” features. 3D Touch was replaced with Haptic Touch, which is more limited and relies on a press-and-hold gesture instead of a deep press.
- Faster Face ID: On the latest iPhones, Face ID is faster and supports more angles.
- ProMotion: Introduced on the iPhone 13 Pro, ProMotion allows for a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz for smoother appearing content and scrolling.
- Always-on display: Rumors suggest the iPhone 14 Pro will feature an always-on display mode that shows the time, date, and iOS 16’s new Lock screen widgets.
- Ceramic Shield: Introduced on the iPhone 12 Pro, Apple said the Ceramic Shield front cover increased drop performance by 4x compared to previous models.
- Longer battery life: Already, the iPhone 13 Pro gets 22 hours of video playback vs. 13 hours for the iPhone X, and rumors suggest that iPhone 14 Pro models could feature even larger battery capacities.
- Triple-lens rear camera system: While the iPhone X has a dual-lens rear camera system, the iPhone 11 Pro and newer feature a triple-lens rear camera system with an added Ultra Wide lens for zoomed-out photos.
- 12-megapixel front camera: The front camera on the iPhone X is a 7-megapixel lens, while the iPhone 11 Pro and newer have a 12-megapixel front camera.
- Night mode: Introduced on the iPhone 11 Pro, Night mode allows for greatly improved low-light photography in the Camera app.
- Increased optical zoom: On the iPhone 13 Pro, you can zoom in up to 3x on photos without any blurriness, compared to up to 2x on the iPhone X.
- Numerous other camera improvements: iPhone X users upgrading to the 14 Pro will get a slew of other camera upgrades, including a rumored 48-megapixel Wide lens with support for 8K video recording, an upgraded front camera with autofocus, sensor-shift image stabilization, Smart HDR, brighter True Tone flash, Macro mode, Cinematic mode, ProRAW photos, ProRes videos, and more.
- Flat edges: While the iPhone X’s stainless steel frame has round edges, Apple has switched to flat edges with the 12 Pro and newer.
- 5G and Gigabit LTE: While the iPhone X is limited to LTE Advanced, the iPhone 14 Pro will support 5G and Gigabit LTE for faster cellular data speeds.
- Dual SIM support: iPhone XS models and newer have both a physical nano-SIM card slot and a digital eSIM, allowing you to have multiple lines of service/phone numbers on a single iPhone. This feature is useful for having personal and business lines on a single iPhone, or for using pay-as-you-go data plans while traveling.
- Wi-Fi 6E: iPhone 14 models are rumored to support Wi-Fi 6E, which extends Wi-Fi into the 6 GHz band, in addition to the existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
- MagSafe: iPhone 12 and newer models feature MagSafe, a system that lets you magnetically attach accessories to the back of the iPhone, such as Apple’s own MagSafe Charger, MagSafe Wallet, and MagSafe Battery Pack.
- Up to 2x faster wireless charging: iPhones with MagSafe can wirelessly charge at up to 15W speeds with Apple’s MagSafe Charger, while wireless charging on the iPhone X is limited to up to 7.5W speeds.
- U1 chip: iPhone 11 Pro and newer models are equipped with Apple’s U1 chip for spatial awareness functionality. For example, users can hold a U1-equipped iPhone near a HomePod mini to hand off music playback, or precisely track the location of an AirTag using the Precision Finding feature.
- Increased storage: iPhone X started with 64GB of storage, but the 14 Pro should have at least 128GB of base storage.
- LiDAR Scanner: Introduced on the iPhone 12 Pro, the LiDAR Scanner is situated next to the rear camera and offers faster augmented reality experiences and improves autofocus by 6x in low-light photos and videos, according to Apple.
- Power Reserve for Wallet app: On the iPhone XS and newer, a Power Reserve feature lets you use transit cards, state ID cards, student ID cards, home keys, car keys, and other items stored in the Wallet app with Express Mode turned on for a short period after an iPhone has run out of battery life.
- Improved water resistance: Apple says the iPhone X has IP67-rated water resistance up to a depth of one meter for up to 30 minutes, while the 12 Pro and newer have IP68-rated water resistance up to a depth of six meters for up to 30 minutes.
With many customers choosing to upgrade their iPhone every two or three years nowadays, there are lots of iPhone 11 Pro users who might be interested in upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro later this year. Those people are in for a treat, as three years of iPhone generations equals a long list of new features and changes to look forward to. Below, we’ve put together a list of new features and…
Given that many customers upgrade their iPhones every two to three years nowadays, there are still plenty of iPhone 12 Pro owners who might be interested in upgrading to the iPhone 14 Pro later this year. While year-over-year iPhone updates are often incremental, the new features begin to stack up after two generations. As a refresher, we’ve put together a list of new features and changes to …
The iPhone 15 Pro Max will be the sole Apple smartphone of 2023 to get a periscope camera lens and benefit from greatly enhanced optical zoom, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Rumors about the iPhone getting a periscope lens have been circulating since early 2020, when Kuo first mentioned the possibility. The analyst initially said that a periscope lens would be an iPhone 14 Pro feature,…
Images of cases for the entire iPhone 14 lineup were today shared, reinforcing expectations about the design refinements coming to this year’s new iPhone models. The images, shared on Weibo and highlighted by “DuanRui” on Twitter, depict ultra-slim third-party cases for the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max. Although one of the devices is…
The iPhone 14 Pro could feature significantly rounder corners to match the larger rear camera array, according to Apple concept graphic renderer Ian Zelbo. Zelbo, who is best known for creating renders of upcoming Apple devices based on leaked information, including the Mac Studio, Studio Display, rumored mixed-reality headset, and more, believes that the iPhone 14 Pro models are likely to…
Leaker Jon Prosser today shared ostensibly accurate renders of the iPhone 14 Pro, providing the most accurate look yet at what the device could look like when it launches later this year. In the latest video on YouTube channel Front Page Tech, Prosser revealed renders of the iPhone 14 Pro made by Apple concept graphic designer Ian Zelbo, highlighting a range of specific design changes…
All four iPhone 14 models launching later this year will be equipped with 6GB of RAM, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce. TrendForce said the iPhone 14 Pro models will be upgraded to a faster and more power efficient type of RAM known as LPDDR5, while the standard iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max models are expected to stick with LPDDR4X. If the report proves to be accurate, the…
YouTuber Unbox Therapy has shared a hands-on look at the iPhone 14 Pro Max using what he claims is a one-to-one replica created by third-party case makers with access to detailed schematics and dimensions for Apple’s new upcoming flagship smartphone. As with the iPhone 13 Pro lineup, in 2022, we are expecting a 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro and a 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max, but this time the Pro…
Apple is working on a new Mac Pro with an M2 “Extreme” chip, according to a recent report from Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman. The Mac Pro is one of the last Intel-based Mac models still on sale, and a version with Apple silicon has been now anticipated for over two years. At its “Peek Performance” event earlier this year, Apple even teased the launch of the Apple silicon Mac Pro, saying “that’s…
YouTube channel Max Tech recently shared a video teardown of the new MacBook Air, providing a look inside the redesigned notebook. Overall, the internal design of the new MacBook Air looks similar to the previous model, but the flatter shell allowed for Apple to fit larger battery cells inside the notebook. The new MacBook Air is equipped with a 52.6-watt‑hour battery, compared to a…
If you’ve been waiting since last month for a chance to try out iOS 16 and all of Apple’s other upcoming operating system updates without needing a developer account, now’s your chance, as Apple has launched public betas for all of the updates. This week also saw the launch of the redesigned M2 MacBook Air, the official end to the working relationship between Apple and Jony Ive, and a couple …
Happy MacBook Air launch day! Today is the official debut date of the new M2 MacBook Air, which features the first major redesign to the MacBook Air in a decade. We picked up one of the new M2 MacBook Air machines and decided to do a hands-on video where we answer questions from MacRumors readers. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. The M2 MacBook Air no longer has a…
Apple this week added the Apple TV HD with the original Siri Remote to its vintage products list. The device became vintage on June 30, according to an internal memo obtained by MacRumors, but the public-facing list was only updated recently. When the Apple TV HD was first released in 2015, it came with a first-generation Siri Remote without a white ring around the Menu button — only units …
#iPhone #iPhone #Pro #Features #Expect #Youve #Waited #Upgrade